Files Hidden or Missing from External Hard Drive or Memory Stick but shows disk usage
Though it may seem as a harmless case of files being Hidden from Folder Options; it is most unlikely since this has to be done manually
This is most likely a virus that has infected your Hard Drive/ Memory Stick
- Run a Full AV Scan – First thing to do would be to run a full anti-virus scan on the External Hard Drive / Memory; clean Up or Delete all viruses before proceeding
- Open the hard drive in explorer mode and do a search with *.*
- If it was a mere Virus issue earlier; this search should help you retrieve all your files.
- Copy all the contents to another location to backup the contents
- Format your external hard drive or memory stick before re-use