It’s actually the print driver failing to install, not the connection to the print server. An initial attempt to install the driver will fail, so the driver directory is present on the workstation, but missing the files.
The instructions given below are for a 32 bit PC. Such an error normally do not occur on a 64 bit machine. When above error is shown in a User’s PC, kindly follow the instructions below:
- On a machine with the same driver installed (and working properly), open Regedit, and browse to:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\
- Locate the subkey for the printer driver you are dealing with and click the key for the printer driver.
- Look for the “InfPath” on the right. Note the path.
- Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and locate the folder indicated in the InfPath reg value.
- Go to the user’s computer exhibiting this behavior, and browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and see if the folder is present. In some cases, the folder would be present, but empty or you might not even find such a folder. In either of the case, you will have to modify security on the folder (FileRepository), and then granting your Admin account full control.
- Once security is granted, copy the contents of this folder from a good machine to the machine presenting the 0x00000057.
Now try connecting to the print queue on the print server. The driver should now download and install properly.