Missing Desktop icons and libraries each time a user logs onto a PC – Logged into Temp Profile
You are logged in to the PC and you are realize all your desktop icons, files, folders; my documents and other libraries are missing
This issue happens due to a corrupt profile on Windows 7 and Windows 8 both 32 bit and 64 bit. Follow the steps below to prevent such things from happening ever again.
- Log on with an administrative account.
- Proceed to the registry. “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList”.
- There would be a ProfileID showing .bak as its suffix. Check the value “ProfileImagePath” of this ProfileID. This would be the users original user account profile
- Look for an identical ProfileID which shows the Profile Image Path as C:\Users\Temp. Rename this profile by adding a Suffix as ‘.old’
- Rename the .bak profile by removing the .bak text from the ProfileID
- Restart once again and then you’re done!
Posted on August 21, 2013, in Windows, Windows 7, Windows 8 and tagged missing desktop files, missing libraries, missing my documents, temp profile, Windows Registry. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.