Error: The selected driver cannot be deleted. The specified printer is currently in use
For 64 bit machines, please follow the steps below
- Log in as Administrator and then remove the printer with the corrupt driver from “Devices and Printers”
- Open Services, “services.msc” and stop the print spooler.
- In registry, “regedit”, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\
- Rename all Print Processors that are listed. Rename all entries like Winprint to Winprint.old, Hpcpp107 to Hpcpp107.old, and so on.
- Start the print spooler.
- Remove/delete the driver in Print Management MMC.
- Reopen registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\
- Rename all Print Processors back from Winprint.old to Winprint, Hpcpp107.old to Hpcpp107, and so on.
- Restart print spooler.
- Try adding the printer again.
- Test printing.
For 32 bit machines, please follow the steps above except for step 3 and 7\
3. In registry, “regdit”, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\ Windows NT x86\Print Processors\
7. Reopen registry location, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\