Monthly Archives: June 2014

Powershell Error – Index was outside the bounds of the array when using System.Net.Mail Class with Send-MailMessage cmdlet

Are you using the System.Net.Mail to send File Attachments? Is the file attachment above 3MB?

If yes; you have just found out the reason for the error. The System.Net.Mail Class throws an exception if a file attachment is over 3MB

Microsoft has a patch available which solves this issue

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=30226

If you have any issues downloading the file; you may post your comment on this post.

Once the patch is applied; you should now be able to send large attachments using your Powershell Send-MailMessage cmdlet.

Please ensure that you use the -UseSSL in your cmdlet. If you leave out -UseSSL; you are most likely to encounter the below error

Send-MailMessage : The operation has timed out.

 

Advertisements

Windows XP Mode Could not be restored

WindowsXPMode

Error Message: <Windows XP Mode> could not be restored because of either host processor type mismatch or lack of hardware-assisted virtualization support in the system

You could ideally check the BIOS Settings to confirm if Virtualization is enabled

But if XP Mode was working perfectly before this error; I don’t see why you should go and check the BIOS setup again

The Error may have cropped up because of a combination of reasons

  • XP Mode was put in Hibernation mode after last successful usage and Hard Disk was replaced or moved to a new PC

 

Restoring the XP Mode to working State

  • Browse to the following location [C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines]
  • You will find a .VSV file pertaining to the Virtual Machine you are facing problems with
  • Rename the .VSV file (Eg: Rename TestVM.vsv to TestVMOld.vsv)
  • Run the .VMC file in the same directory. You would ideally get the same error once again
  • Rename the .VSV file again to it’s previous name (Eg: Rename TestVMOld.vsv to TestVM.vsv)
  • Now run the .VMC file

Workaround for changing Installer Forced Romanian language on Bitdefender Antivirus Free to English

The other day I decided to change the anti virus running on my laptop to Bitdefender Antivirus Free. However after having started the installation, I noticed that the whole setup was running on another language (which I later understood was Romanian). After having browsed for a few solutions, I found one simple solution for this on the forum of Bitdefender itself. I had to uninstall the whole antivirus to just change the language! Following are the steps to be followed to change the language to English. (Please note that the steps below can be followed if it’s a fresh installation or a re-installation)

  1. Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free.
  2. Double click on the downloaded file and let it unpack the installation files. Please don’t click on Install yet.
  3. Hit Windows button and R on the keyboard or in plain words get the “run” command and type in %temp% and hit Enter.
  4. Once the temporary folder opens, look for a folder “RarSFX0”.
  5. Right click and copy this folder (you may name this folder as anything you wish) to another folder in another location.
  6. Close the installer and the folder “RarSFX0” will be removed.
  7. Look for a folder “lang” in the folder that was created in Step 5.
  8. Look for a file “lang.xml” in this folder and right click and “Open With” Notepad.
  9. Remove all languages below tag <languages> except for language “en-US”.
  10. Hit Ctrl+S (in other words Save) and close Notepad.
  11. Double click on the downloaded file in Step 1.

ORA-12514 TNS listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

Error from Recovery Catalog Database – ORA-12514 | Could not connect to RMAN Catalog Database

Example :  c:\> rman target / catalog rcat/password@orcl

Error: TNS: listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

recovery_catalog_error

The typical solution when you encounter this error is to check the TNSNames.ora file in the $ORACLEHOME\NETWORK\ADMIN directory to correct any typo errors

But what if your recovery catalog database was working perfectly earlier and no changes were done to the TNSNames.ora file. If yes, below steps should help you

Connect to the Recovery Catalog Database

c:\> set ORACLE_SID=catdb
c:\> sqlplus target /

You could end up getting an error message : Connected to an Idle Instance

Startup the Instance

You can start the Instance with below command

c:\> oradim -STARTUP -SID <SID> -STARTTYPE inst -PFILE <fullpath of the INITsid.ora file>

Example: oradim -STARTUP -SID catdb -STARTTYPE inst -PFILE c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1\database\INTIcatdb.ora

The Recovery Catalog database instance should now be started