Monthly Archives: June 2014
Error Message: <Windows XP Mode> could not be restored because of either host processor type mismatch or lack of hardware-assisted virtualization support in the system
You could ideally check the BIOS Settings to confirm if Virtualization is enabled
But if XP Mode was working perfectly before this error; I don’t see why you should go and check the BIOS setup again
The Error may have cropped up because of a combination of reasons
- XP Mode was put in Hibernation mode after last successful usage and Hard Disk was replaced or moved to a new PC
Restoring the XP Mode to working State
- Browse to the following location [C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines]
- You will find a .VSV file pertaining to the Virtual Machine you are facing problems with
- Rename the .VSV file (Eg: Rename TestVM.vsv to TestVMOld.vsv)
- Run the .VMC file in the same directory. You would ideally get the same error once again
- Rename the .VSV file again to it’s previous name (Eg: Rename TestVMOld.vsv to TestVM.vsv)
- Now run the .VMC file
The other day I decided to change the anti virus running on my laptop to Bitdefender Antivirus Free. However after having started the installation, I noticed that the whole setup was running on another language (which I later understood was Romanian). After having browsed for a few solutions, I found one simple solution for this on the forum of Bitdefender itself. I had to uninstall the whole antivirus to just change the language! Following are the steps to be followed to change the language to English. (Please note that the steps below can be followed if it’s a fresh installation or a re-installation)
- Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free.
- Double click on the downloaded file and let it unpack the installation files. Please don’t click on Install yet.
- Hit Windows button and R on the keyboard or in plain words get the “run” command and type in %temp% and hit Enter.
- Once the temporary folder opens, look for a folder “RarSFX0”.
- Right click and copy this folder (you may name this folder as anything you wish) to another folder in another location.
- Close the installer and the folder “RarSFX0” will be removed.
- Look for a folder “lang” in the folder that was created in Step 5.
- Look for a file “lang.xml” in this folder and right click and “Open With” Notepad.
- Remove all languages below tag <languages> except for language “en-US”.
- Hit Ctrl+S (in other words Save) and close Notepad.
- Double click on the downloaded file in Step 1.
Error from Recovery Catalog Database – ORA-12514 | Could not connect to RMAN Catalog Database
Example : c:\> rman target / catalog rcat/password@orcl
Error: TNS: listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor
The typical solution when you encounter this error is to check the TNSNames.ora file in the $ORACLEHOME\NETWORK\ADMIN directory to correct any typo errors
But what if your recovery catalog database was working perfectly earlier and no changes were done to the TNSNames.ora file. If yes, below steps should help you
Connect to the Recovery Catalog Database
c:\> set ORACLE_SID=catdb
c:\> sqlplus target /
You could end up getting an error message : Connected to an Idle Instance
Startup the Instance
You can start the Instance with below command
c:\> oradim -STARTUP -SID <SID> -STARTTYPE inst -PFILE <fullpath of the INITsid.ora file> Example: oradim -STARTUP -SID catdb -STARTTYPE inst -PFILE c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1\database\INTIcatdb.ora
The Recovery Catalog database instance should now be started